[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Python ceval.c,2.217,2.218

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:25:30 -0800

> It was more convenient that way. And I'm pretty certain the _DECREF
> macros do not change their arguments.

Pretty certain???  That doesn't inspire confidence <wink>. How certain are
you that this will be true in the future?

I think it bad style indeed - for example, I could see benefit in having
DECREF (or _Py_Dealloc, called by decref) set the object to NULL in debug
builds.  What if that decision is taken in the future?

I thought rules were pretty clear with reference counting - dont assume
_anything_ about the object unless you hold a reference (or are damn sure
someone else does!)

Mark.