[Python-Dev] Someone should be shot

Moshe Zadka moshez@zadka.site.co.il
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:03:25 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:27:02 -0500, barry@digicool.com (Barry A. Warsaw) wrote:

> Or how about
>
>     http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

     If your mailer doesn't have this option, you should request it from
     its development team. Any mailer, whose development team refuses
     this simple request due to some ideological position, cannot be
     said to be reasonable.

As some people here know, I'm my mailer's "development team". I refuse to add
it due to an ideological position. Anyone who knows me know I'm quite
unreasonable. Hmmm....I'm not making much headway, am I ;-)

> for a dissenting view.  Of course Mail-Followup-To is completely
> non-standard, but even if it were, having the mailing list munge it in
> isn't recommended:
>
>     http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html

This has no relevance to the current case, since python-checkin
messages are machine-generated -- so this is closer to doing this in
the script generating the checkin message, and only differes in
implementation.

> Bottom line (IMHO), this is just something about email that is and
> will forever remain broken.  Given that, it was voted a long while
> back to make Reply-To for checkins point to python-dev so until
> there's a hue and cry to change it back, I'll leave it as is.  And
> yeah, it bites me sometimes too!

I won't continue this thread, but remember that my vote is "no".
I simply shudder at the thought that I might send someone e-mail
with something like "nice bugfix. Didn't know you were back from
the sex-change operation", and it would be broadcast out to all
Python-Dev *and* the archives, for posterity.
--
Moshe Zadka <sig@zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.