[Python-Dev] I think my set module is ready for prime time; comments?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:55:30 -0500

Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@alum.mit.edu>:
> The tests showed that dictionary-based sets were always faster.  For
> small tests (3 operations), the difference was about 10 percent.  For
> larger tests (88 operations), the difference ranged from 180 to almost
> 700 percent.

Not surprising.  88 elements is getting pretty large.

Hoplophobia (n.): The irrational fear of weapons, correctly described by
Freud as "a sign of emotional and sexual immaturity".  Hoplophobia, like
homophobia, is a displacement symptom; hoplophobes fear their own
"forbidden" feelings and urges to commit violence.  This would be
harmless, except that they project these feelings onto others.  The
sequelae of this neurosis include irrational and dangerous behaviors
such as passing "gun-control" laws and trashing the Constitution.