[Python-Dev] I think my set module is ready for prime time; comments?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:56:05 -0500 (EST)

  ESR> Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@alum.mit.edu>: Content-Description:
  ESR> message body text
  >> The tests showed that dictionary-based sets were always faster.
  >> For small tests (3 operations), the difference was about 10
  >> percent.  For larger tests (88 operations), the difference ranged
  >> from 180 to almost 700 percent.

  ESR> Not surprising.  88 elements is getting pretty large.

Large for what?  I've got directories with that many files and modules
with the many names defined at the top-level :-).  I'm just reporting
the range of set sizes I've encountered for a real application.  In
general, I expect a few hundred elements should be handled without
trouble by most Python containers.

Jeremy