[Python-Dev] test___all__ failing; Windows

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@effbot.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:11:33 +0100

Skip wrote:

> Probably should file a bug report (if you haven't already) so the root
> problem isn't forgotten because the hack obscures it.  I see this code in
> localemodule.c:
>
>     #ifdef LC_MESSAGES
> x = PyInt_FromLong(LC_MESSAGES);
> PyDict_SetItemString(d, "LC_MESSAGES", x);
> Py_XDECREF(x);
>     #endif /* LC_MESSAGES */
>
> Martin, looks like this module is your baby.  Care to hazard a guess about
> whether LC_MESSAGES should always or never be there?

I think the correct answer is "sometimes":

    ANSI C mandates LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE,
    LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, and LC_TIME

    Unix mandates LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE,LC_CTYPE,
    LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, and
    LC_TIME

in other words, if it's supported, it should be exposed by
the Python bindings.

Cheers /F