[Python-Dev] "Becoming a Python Developer"

Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:54:15 -0400

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:27:59PM +0200, Samuele Pedroni wrote:
>Maybe we are bad at diplomacy or we have somehow closed the
>development process ...

It might also be Java's development culture.  Back when I occasionally
looked for Java classes, it was amazing how little free Java software
there was.  People would write, say, a specialized AWT Layout class,
but instead of putting on a Web page with source code and an example,
they'd want to you pay $25 or $300 for it!  This probably isn't helped
by Java support on Unixes (other than Solaris) having been so dodgy
for so long, as Unix seems to have the strongest such culture.  So
people may not be accustomed to the idea that if they use Jython, they
can also *improve* it.

BTW, I assume the Jython source uses the standard Java indentation and
formatting style?

--amk