[Python-Dev] number-sig anyone?

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:38:01 -0700

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Dev-ers,

> find no math-sig or number-sig mailing list.  If Python's number system is
> going to change in one or more backwards-incompatible I think there may only
> be one chance to get it right.

That implies there is a "right". There isn't. There are just a bunch of
opinions. And I can't imagine that a SIG would lead to a convergence of
opinions because people come from such radically different backgrounds.
I would rather see a rational-sig, float-division-sig, decimal-sig and
so forth. Each could come up with a "locally coherent" plan and Guido
could pick and choose. Otherwise it is might as well be called
numeric-flame-flame-flame-sig.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.