[Python-Dev] %b format? - 8088 like a PDP-11 I think not...

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 17:19:08 -0400

Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>:
> Really?  I was always under the impression the 4004 was considered the first
> microprocessor.  The page below says that and gives a date of 1971 for it.

First sentence is widely believed, but there was an earlier micro called
the Star-8 designed at Burroughs that has been almost completely forgotten.
I only know about it because I worked there in 1980 with one of the
people who designed it.

I think I had a brain fart and it's the Z80 that was descended from
the 6502.  I was going by a remark in some old lecture notes.  I've
got a copy of the definitive reference on history of computer
architecture and will check.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the
pursuit of justice is no virtue."
	-- Barry Goldwater (actually written by Karl Hess)