[Python-Dev] %b format? - 8088 like a PDP-11 I think not...

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:16:00 -0500

    Eric> Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>:
    >> Really?  I was always under the impression the 4004 was considered
    >> the first microprocessor.  The page below says that and gives a date
    >> of 1971 for it.

    Eric> First sentence is widely believed, but there was an earlier micro
    Eric> called the Star-8 designed at Burroughs that has been almost
    Eric> completely forgotten.

There was also a GE-8 (I think that was the name) developed at GE's R&D
Center in the early 1970's timeframe - long before my time there.  It was
apparently very competitive with the other microprocessors produced about
that time but never saw the light of day.  I suspect that was at least due
in part to the fact that GE built mainframes back then.

Skip