[Python-Dev] distutils change breaks code, Pyfort

Paul F. Dubois paul@pfdubois.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:14:03 -0800

The requirement of a version argument to the distutils command breaks Pyfort
and many of my existing packages. These packages are not intended for use
with the distribution commands and a package version number would be
meaningless.

I will make a new Pyfort that supplies a version number to the call it makes
to setup. However, I think this change to distutils is a poor idea. If the
version number would be required for the distribution commands, let *them*
complain, perhaps by setting a default value of time.asctime(time.gmtime())
or something that the distribution commands could object to.

I apologize if I missed an earlier discussion of this change that seems to
be in 2.1b2 but not 2.1b1, as I am new to this list.

Paul