[Python-Dev] [Very Long 23kb] List of Patches to Go in 2.0.1

aahz@pobox.com (Aahz Maruch) aahz@pobox.com (Aahz Maruch)
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:57:49 -0800 (PST)

Tim:
> Moshe:
>>
>> Fixed support for containment test when a negative step is used; this
>> *really* closes bug #121965.
>>
>> Added three attributes to the xrange object: start, stop, and step.
>> These are the same as for the slice objects.
>>
>> In the containment test, get the boundary condition right.  ">" was used
>> where ">=" should have been.
>>
>> This closes bug #121965.
>
> This one Aahz singled out previously as a canonical example of a
> patch he would *not* include, because adding new attributes seemed
> potentially disruptive to him (but why? maybe someone was depending on
> the precise value of len(dir(xrange(42)))?).

I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that the attribute change
will generate a different .pyc.  If I'm wrong about that, this patch
as-is is fine with me; otherwise, I'd lobby to use the containment fix
but not the attributes (assuming we're willing to use part of a patch).

>From my POV, it's *real* important that .pyc files be portable between
bugfix releases, and so far I haven't seen any argument against that
goal.
--
                      --- Aahz  <*>  (Copyright 2001 by aahz@pobox.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Boost the stock market -- fire someone"