[Python-Dev] Mac hierarchy backwards

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 11 May 2001 16:56:39 +0200

> It seems, however, that some of the directory structure is backwards:
> Mac/Demo should be Demo/Mac, and Mac/Tools should be Tools/Mac. There
> may be others of this kind.

Yes, now that the Mac stuff is integrated with the mainstream again this might
be a good idea.

> I also wonder whether all these files are still needed, and meant to
> be distributed. E.g. I see chdir.c having the comment
>
> /* Chdir for the Macintosh.
>    Public domain by Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam (July 1987).
>    Pathnames must be Macintosh paths, with colons as separators. */
>
> Is it really the case that the Mac API hasn't grown a chdir call in 13
> years?

Hmm, hmm, I'm unsure.

MacOS (<= 9) itself doesn't have chdir, because it doesn't believe in current
directories (by design. Whether I agree with the design is a different
matter:-).

Normally MacPython is built with a special unix-compatibility library, GUSI,
which does provide these calls. However, it is still possible to build without
GUSI, and actually in the process of porting MacPython to Carbon ("MacOSX in
it's MacOS API model") I've used these compatibility routines again, until I
finally got GUSI ported.

But its easy enough to cvs-remove them from the normal tree, to be revived
when needed. What do people think?