[Python-Dev] Mac hierarchy backwards

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Fri, 11 May 2001 12:29:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Martin v. Loewis writes:
>  > Is it really the case that the Mac API hasn't grown a chdir call in 13
>  > years?
>
>   Yikes!  I just search developer.apple.com for "chdir" and came up
> with no hits, but I really don't know just what that tells me.
> chdir() is required for POSIX compliance, but it isn't mentioned in
> the C9X final committee draft.

 There isn't a chdir in any of the pre-OSX Mac *system* libraries, and
Mac has never claimed any POSIX compliance (even with OSX, they have
officially said it's almost certainly POSIX compliant but they have
no plans for now to got thru the hoops and paperwork to get it
certified.)

 chdir is in unistd.h, which isn't part of the standard C library.

 However, Metrowerks *compiler* and IDE for the Mac does include in
MSL (Metrowerks Standard Library) a unistd.[hc] with chdir. ( MW
selling development tools obviously has more interest in being
POSIX compliant than Apple! )

 I don't know if there's one in the MPW libraries, so maybe you
still want to leave it there.

 -- Steve Majewski