[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [ python-Patches-428326 ] Timer class for threading

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 17:42:22 -0400

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:
> My position will be that nothing ships in the distribution unless copyright
> has been assigned to the PSF, or the contributor has agreed to give the PSF
> a non-exclusive irrevocable etc license to release their work under the PSF
> license du jour.  Fleshing out the second option so as to prevent abuse on
> either side is going to require significant effort ("what if the PSF goes
> away?", "what if the PSF changes its license to something I hate?", "what if
> I change my mind?", etc).
>
> Unfortunately, significant effort takes significant time too, and nobody has
> started on this yet.

I think a PSF pleadge to use only an OSI-certified license would address
some of these issues.  Write it into the bylaws if necessary.

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression: for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that
will reach unto himself.
	-- Thomas Paine