[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [ python-Patches-428326 ] Timer class for threading

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 17:30:49 -0400

[Thomas Wouters]
> This raises an interesting point. Do we want separate pieces of the
> Python distribution to have separate licences ?

This is a question for the PSF to resolve, since the PSF is intended to
become the sole legal owner of Python's IP rights.

My position will be that nothing ships in the distribution unless copyright
has been assigned to the PSF, or the contributor has agreed to give the PSF
a non-exclusive irrevocable etc license to release their work under the PSF
license du jour.  Fleshing out the second option so as to prevent abuse on
either side is going to require significant effort ("what if the PSF goes
away?", "what if the PSF changes its license to something I hate?", "what if
I change my mind?", etc).

Unfortunately, significant effort takes significant time too, and nobody has
started on this yet.