[Python-Dev] Problem in SRE ?

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
07 Nov 2001 13:25:10 -0500

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> >
> > "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
> >
> > > import sys, re, string
> > > _sys_version_parser = re.compile('([\w.]+)\s*'
> >
> > You need a \+? in here somewhere!  Or a + inside the [].
>
> True and thanks for the hint, but still: why does Python exit ?

Well, even if I leave it out, it doesn't exit for me:

$ ~/src/python/dist/src/build/python foo4.py
2.2b1+ (#1, Nov  7 2001, 05:07:34)
[GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "foo4.py", line 37, in ?
    print _sys_version()
  File "foo4.py", line 26, in _sys_version
    version, buildno, builddate, buildtime, compiler = \
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'groups'

That's from this morning.

How are you testing?  I can't provoke any wierd behaviour whatever I
do.  This is on NT4, btw.

Are you sure there's nothing eating the exception?

Cheers,
M.

--
  at any rate, I'm satisfied that not only do they know which end of
  the pointy thing to hold, but where to poke it for maximum effect.