[Python-Dev] Replacing __slots__ with addmembers()

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 00:54:14 -0500

    MM> I hope the feature freeze won't rule out the patch for 2.2.

Without BDFL override, yes, it does.

    TP> I expect we will.  Ditto __metatype__, long-winded super(),
    TP> function-based property "declarations", and all the other new
    TP> stuff.  We're aiming for progress with the new features, not
    TP> perfection <wink>.

I believe Guido knows that it will be impossible to get all this stuff
right the first time, and even the 2.2 beta cycle won't shake out all
the problems.  I think his intention was to get the basic
functionality in place for Python 2.2, and to clean up and improve the
syntax and semantics in future releases.

-Barry