[Python-Dev] Integrating Expat

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:02:22 +0200

Martin von Loewis wrote:

> > If you want a very fast validating XML parser, RXP would also
> > be a good choice -- AFAIK, the RXP folks would allow us to
> > ship RXP under a different license than GPL which is then
> > bound to Python.
>
> RXP would indeed be a choice. Of course, integrating it is much
> harder; you'd have to write the C module first, plus documentation,
> plus a SAX driver, plus test cases. I'm not sure how much code you can
> inherit from PyLTXML.
>
> On performance: Please have a look at
>
> http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/Benchmark/exec.html
>
> which suggests that expat still has a speed advantage over rxp
> (assuming that the measurements where done carefully, i.e. disabling
> validation in RXP).

How would libxml fit into this picture ?

	http://xmlsoft.org/

libxml is written in C as well and under the LGPL.

There's also Apache's Xerces which is written in a portable subset
of C++ (is probably to big though to be intergated into Python):

	http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH