[Python-Dev] weird gdb/python/gtk/pango interaction?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:52:50 +0200

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm no longer able to run PyGtk scripts from gdb under some circumstances.
> I am using the CVS HEAD of glib, atk, pango, gtk+ and pygtk.  The following
> simple Python script works fine when run from gdb:
>
>     #!/usr/bin/env python
>
>     import gtk
>
>     w = gtk.Window()
>     w.connect("destroy", gtk.mainquit)
>     #lbl = gtk.Label("hi")
>     #w.add(lbl)
>
>     w.show_all()
>     gtk.mainloop()
>
> with the following output:
>
>     (gdb) r basic.py
>     Starting program: /usr/local/bin/python basic.py
>     [New Thread 1024 (LWP 19044)]
>     Gtk-Message: YOU ARE USING THE DEVEL BRANCH 1.3.x OF GTK+ WHICH IS CURRENTLY
>                     UNDER HEAVY DEVELOPMENT AND FREQUENTLY INTRODUCES INSTABILITIES.                if you don't know why you are getting this, you probably want to                use the stable branch which can be retrieved from
>                     ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v1.2/ or via CVS with
>                     cvs checkout -r glib-1-2 glib; cvs checkout -r gtk-1-2 gtk+

Just curious: does the proposed stable branch show the same behaviour ?
If so, I'd suggest to ask the GTK guys for help. If not, then perhaps
you have to rebuild the Python extensions involved and make
sure that they match the Python version you are using.

What you're seeing looks like there are some buffer overruns going
on... I've never seen such a strange font name ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH