[Python-Dev] status of OS/2 ports of Python

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:14:44 -0500

[Andrew MacIntyre, to Guido]
> I've never used CVS, but am prepared to rectify that.  I am also prepared
> to work within the commit rules you specify.
>
> I can work with the requirement for testing on another platform if FreeBSD
> is an acceptable test platform.

Yes, FreeBSD is fine.  It's "Unix-like", and random collateral damage there
is mostly what we're trying to guard against, as most people building from
CVS are building on Unix-like systems.

> I would also propose to look after patches to the VAC++ build (such as
> Michael Muller's), on the basis that although I can't test the patches
> directly, I can test that they don't affect the rest of the system, and I
> can work with the submitter to resolve issues that affect OS/2 specific
> functionality.

That would be wonderful.  I don't know what to do with OS/2 patches,
although since I'm "the Windows guy", people look at me like I'm *supposed*
to know something about OS/2 <wink>.  I don't.  If you and Michael can
coordinate, it would help Python on OS/2 a lot.

> As to whether having commit privs would help - on the time availability
> front, no; otherwise more likely than not.

It would be more time-efficient for you (and for us).  Waiting for somebody
else to review your patches can drag on for-- literally --months, at which
point the patch likely doesn't even apply anymore.  Checking in directly
from a build tree saves a whole lot of time.

take-it-easy-on-#ifdefs-outside-of-pyport.h-ly y'rs  - tim