[Python-Dev] status of OS/2 ports of Python

Andrew MacIntyre andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 18:41:46 +1100 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > At this stage, my plan is to finalise a binary release of 2.2 before
> > submitting a new set of patches, taking into account Martin von Loewis'
> > comments and suggestions (much appreciated thank you!) among others.  I
> > also plan to try and coordinate my patches with those of Michael Muller
> > (473749, 474169 & 474500 so far) for the VAC++ build of Python for OS/2.
> >
> > I will try and review Michael's patches with a view to getting them into
> > 2.2, as the VAC++ build has been part of the sourceball for a few
> > versions.
>
> Andy, would it help if you had SourceForge commit privileges?  You'd
> be obliged to only check in code that doesn't break the build on other
> platforms, so you would be required to test anything you want to check
> in on another platform (Linux or Windows) before you commit to save
> you the embarrassment of breaking the build, but if (as I expect) you
> would mostly be adding stuff inside "#ifdef OS2", that shouldn't be a
> big burden.  It would save you the trouble of uploading patches to
> SourceForge and it would save *us* the trouble of reviewing your
> patches and checking them in.

I've never used CVS, but am prepared to rectify that.  I am also prepared
to work within the commit rules you specify.

I can work with the requirement for testing on another platform if FreeBSD
is an acceptable test platform.

I would also propose to look after patches to the VAC++ build (such as
Michael Muller's), on the basis that although I can't test the patches
directly, I can test that they don't affect the rest of the system, and I
can work with the submitter to resolve issues that affect OS/2 specific
functionality.

As to whether having commit privs would help - on the time availability
front, no; otherwise more likely than not.

> All your code would be owned by the PSF, but that's what you want
> anyway, right?

Yes.

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616