[Python-Dev] ACCEPTED: PEP 285

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:59:09 -0500

> Neal just posted that PyChecker deals with it, which is great, but I
> don't think that PyChecker is enough - until PyChecker is part of
> the standard distribution and integrated with e.g. the interactive
> shell, I think that PyChecker is not likely to be used by novices.
> And we're talking about novices here, right?

Yeah, but I think we should only complain about comparisons to bool
that use the literals (as opposed to "if x == y" where either x or y
happens to be a bool).  A run-time warning can't really do that.

> Come to think of it, getting PyChecker integrated w/ the interactive
> shell would be great!  Hard, I suspect, but great!

Certainly better than running tabnanny. :-)

I'm not even sure how hard it would be to add this to IDLE --
pychecker is already a module.  Maybe Neal will enjoy this challenge?