[Python-Dev] RELEASED: Python 2.2.1

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
11 Apr 2002 14:04:27 +0100

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> writes:

> Michael Hudson writes:
>  > Me, obviously.  I think I said when I did it here.
>
> You probably did, but there was a pretty mail volume earlier this
> week, so probably got lost in the pile.  ;-)  Heck, it might even
> still be waiting for me to get to it!

Quite likely.

>  > Well, only the 48 hour plan I posted to python-dev.  Admittedly that
>  > didn't say when I would tag the tree.
>
> I liked having the plan.  Perhaps this could be added to the release
> procedure PEPs.

Yeah.  The PEP need to have an axe taken to it now that we ignore sf,
too.

>  > Can some who knows how sort out the CVS mess?  I can learn, I guess,
>  > but I'd rather not risk cocking it up.
>  >
>  > The other changes that were made in the process of building the
>  > windows installer and the docs I really don't care about (i.e. the
>  > changes Trent posted).
>  >
>  > Is this worth updating the tarball for?
>
> Avoiding this question is why we need the specific coordination on the
> tagging.  ;-)

Perhaps.  I'm not sure it would have helped, unless someone had said
"you have run cvs up -d, haven't you?"[0].

> Should the tarball define the release, or does the release define
> the tarball?  Doesn't matter as long as they're the same.  The value
> of the tag is that it reflects the release.

How many people build the docs from source?

> Since the tarball went out broken (not matching the files used to
> build), I'm not sure what should be done to fix things.  I'll be glad
> to handle the CVS machinery if the determination is that the tag
> should be moved.

I really think CVS should be fixed.  It's not really a case of moving
a tag, it's more a case of adding files to a tag.

Cheers,
M.

[0] and WTF does cvs not pick up new directories by default?  How is
    that a good idea?

--
  Never meddle in the affairs of NT. It is slow to boot and quick to
  crash.                                             -- Stephen Harris