[Python-Dev] RELEASED: Python 2.2.1

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:18:01 -0400

>  > Can some who knows how sort out the CVS mess?  I can learn, I guess,
>  > but I'd rather not risk cocking it up.

To move a tag, simply retag with the same tag but adding the -F
option.  If you retag a whole tree with -F, you only get "T filename"
lines for files where the tag is actually moved.  In this case I'd say
leave it.

>  > The other changes that were made in the process of building the
>  > windows installer and the docs I really don't care about (i.e. the
>  > changes Trent posted).
>  >
>  > Is this worth updating the tarball for?
>
> Avoiding this question is why we need the specific coordination on the
> tagging.  ;-)  Should the tarball define the release, or does the
> release define the tarball?  Doesn't matter as long as they're the
> same.  The value of the tag is that it reflects the release.
>
> Since the tarball went out broken (not matching the files used to
> build), I'm not sure what should be done to fix things.  I'll be glad
> to handle the CVS machinery if the determination is that the tag
> should be moved.

If we change either the tarball or the binary release (Win32 installer
and RPMs) now, it would have to be a new release number, else there
could be confusion (the MD5 checksum of the tarball would change, and
who knows if there are people who already picked up the tarball and
start redistributing, etc.).

I think that's not worth it, so let this be a warning for all.  Make a
change to PEP 102 to remind you of what to do in the future.