[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 11:43:15 -0400

[Guido]
>>> I was originally going to make it an unnamed string
>>> literal -- maybe that's better?

[David]
>> In PEP 258 I call those "Additional Docstrings":

[Guido]
> Ah, I thought there had to be something like that. :-)
>
> Do you also recognize this if there are comments between?  Or blank
> lines?  E.g.
>
>    def f():
>        """
>        foo
>        """
>
>        # blah
>
>        """
>        bar
>        """

We haven't gotten that far get.  I see no problems with blank lines, but
comments may block recognition, unless we choose to ignore them.  On the
other hand, comments themselves may be used in some circumstances; HappyDoc
recognizes comments *before* a def/class statement if there's no docstring.
There's still much to be thought out.

--
David Goodger  <goodger@users.sourceforge.net>  Open-source projects:
  - Python Docutils: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/