[Python-Dev] The memo of pickle

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:56:07 +1200 (NZST)

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com>:

> Perhaps pickle could grow an option to assume that a
> data structure is non-recursive ?

Then you'd probably want some means of detecting cycles, or you'd get
infinite recursion when you got it wrong. That would mean keeping a
stack of objects, I think -- probably less memory than keeping all of
them at once.

But I think the idea of keeping the object references in a list is
well worth trying first. 4 bytes per object instead of 36 sounds like a
good improvement to me!