[Python-Dev] strange warnings from tempfile.mkstemped.__del__ on HP

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:31:40 -0400

Lysator's snake-farm, which does regular builds of CVS Python
checkouts on a variety of uncommon platforms, has started reporting
two warnings that I don't understand.  (Never mind the gettext.py
warnings; they're shallow; someone should fix them.)

The problem is the two exceptions ignored in __del__ methods.  If I
look at the code of the new tempfile.py module and its
test_tempfile.py unittests, I see that there's a class mkstemped
defined in test_tempfile.py, which has a __del__ method that closes
the file descriptor.  The only way I can see this failing with an
AttributeError exception is if the instance never makes it through its
__init__ call.  But in that case I would have expect a failure
reported; the only instantiation of mkstemped() is inside a try/except
where the exceptclause calls self.failOnException() which causes the
unit tests to fail.  But the unittest doesn't report any failures?!

I don't see this happening on Linux, so it's hard to go beyond
speculation.