[Python-Dev] strange warnings from tempfile.mkstemped.__del__ on HP

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:39:52 -0400

> The problem is the two exceptions ignored in __del__ methods.  If I
> look at the code of the new tempfile.py module and its
> test_tempfile.py unittests, I see that there's a class mkstemped
> defined in test_tempfile.py, which has a __del__ method that closes
> the file descriptor.  The only way I can see this failing with an
> AttributeError exception is if the instance never makes it through its
> __init__ call.  But in that case I would have expect a failure
> reported; the only instantiation of mkstemped() is inside a try/except
> where the exceptclause calls self.failOnException() which causes the
> unit tests to fail.  But the unittest doesn't report any failures?!

Mmm, it seems the test script doesn't show the test output.  Maybe one
of the tests is failing, but "make test" doesn't fail as a result?  Or
only the first test run is failing?  "make test" ignores the result of
the first test run (the tests are run twice, once without .pyc files
in place, once with).