[Python-Dev] PEP 218 (sets); moving set.py to Lib

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:31:10 -0400

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 01:22 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I am still perplexed that I receoved *no* feedback on the sets module
> except on this issue of sort order (which I consider solved by adding
> a method _repr() that takes an optional 'sorted' argument).

I haven't read the entire thread, but I was puzzled by the implementation
approach. Did you consider kjbuckets for the standard Python distribution?
While the claim is rather old, the following quote from Aaron's intro [1]  to
the module suggests it might improve performance:

   For suitably large compute intensive uses these types should provide up to
   an order of magnitude speedup versus an implementation that uses analogous
   operations implemented directly in Python.

Adding the gadfly SQL database to the standard library would also be useful,
but since it is back under development it would be best for gadfly to live on
a separate release cycle. The kjbuckets software, however, doesn't seem  to
be changing.

One more reason for adding kjbuckets, Tim Berner-Lee might find the kjGraphs
class useful for the semantic web work.

[1] http://starship.python.net/crew/aaron_watters/kjbuckets/kjbuckets.html