[Python-Dev] extension module .o files wind up in the wrong place

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:29:09 -0600

I notice that when building Python in a subdirectory of the src dir that the
.o files for extension modules are written in the wrong directory.
Graphically, if my source tree looks like

    head/dist/src
        Makefile.pre.in
        /Modules
        /Python
        build
            Makefile
            /Modules
            /Python

If I run

    cd build
    ../configure --prefix=/Users/skip/local
    make

extension module .o files wind up in .../src/Modules instead of
.../src/build/Modules.

I don't have time to look into this right now.  I only just noticed it while
I was trying to do parallel builds in build.dbg and build.opt directories.
The debug .o files got written first, so when the optimized make came along,
there were already .o files, which had been compiled with --with-pydebug,
got linked improperly.

Skip