[Python-Dev] extension module .o files wind up in the wrong place

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 17:48:55 +1300 (NZDT)

Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>:

> extension module .o files wind up in .../src/Modules instead of
> .../src/build/Modules.

If this involves VPATH, I think I might know what's happening --
something similar happened to me recently.

Have you by any chance previously done a non-VPATH build in the source
tree?

It seems that, when using a VPATH, any pathname referencing something
in the build directory for which a corresponding file exists in the
VPATH directory gets changed to refer to the VPATH directory. So you
need to make sure there are *only* source files in the source tree
before doing a build using a VPATH.