[Python-Dev] Still want an expected skip file for regrtest.py?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:57:45 -0500

> I just updated my CVS copy of Python and noticed that regrtest.py was
> patched.  That triggered the memory of summarizing the whole expected skip
> thread from the last summary.  The conclusion to that thread was the idea
> of having a file that would list tests that could be added to  the
> expected skip  list at run-time and thus  squash the issue of having to
> ignore skipped test messages for things you knew would be skipped that
> were not listed on the platform skip list.
>
> Well, with ``dummy_thread(ing)?`` sitting there on SF and knowing that I
> have a lot of PHP coding coming up, I am up for implementing this (with no
> specified timeframe).  The question is how do you want it implemented?  I
> say it should just be a file you keep in your Lib/test/ directory that is
> formatted like what you pass in for the -f option to regrtest.py (heck, I
> plan to copy the code that implements that option).  It should always be
> included without a passed-in option since the whole point of this is that
> these tests are expected to be skipped.  Thus it should have a
> standardized name (how about "ToSkip.txt"? Maybe a leading underscore?)

I leave the design mostly up to you.  I think it should use a file in
the current directory -- that's where you'd type "make test" anyway,
and when building multiple versions (e.g. a debug version or different
platforms) it may actually be useful to be able to have multiple
"skips" files.  (When using VPATH, that is.)

> The other issue is whether the listed tests should supplement or extend
> the expected tests for the platform.  I say it should extend, but the
> thread originally discussing this said supplement.  If both ways are
> desired, the file could specify either ``..add`` or ``..replace`` (or
> something similar) to signal which to do (default being to add them).  It
> could be required to be at the top of the file, at the end, or just
> anywhere; I have no preference.  But I think it should just extend it
> since we have those tests listed for a reason and having to possibly
> re-list them would be a pain.

I expect that the most common use would be for the file to augment the
built-in list.  Maybe entries with a leading minus could be deducted
from the built-in list.

> Or you could all just say "surprise me, Brett" and let me sweat the
> details.  =)

I'll say "amaze me, Brett." :-)