[Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:23:27 -0500

    MvL> I don't think we can get autoconf detection to work on
    MvL> 2.1.

I don't mind.

    MvL> The instructions are right. Unfortunately, the code is
    MvL> wrong: It prefers fgetpos in 2.1, but that returns not an
    MvL> integral type on some systems.

Right.

    MvL> I think the best approach is to copy the body of
    MvL> _portable_fseek and _portable_ftell from 2.2. With that, I
    MvL> get a setup that atleast looks right (patch attached)

Unfortunately that's not enough, I suspect.

    >> I've had some failures on 2.4.7 kernels w/ ext3 filesystems.

    MvL> Were these compilation failures, or runtime failures? For the
    MvL> compilation failures, ext3 should be irrelevant, and 2.4.7
    MvL> should be irrelevant as well - the glibc version would matter
    MvL> (which defines fpos_t to be a struct with an mbstate_t
    MvL> inside).

Vanilla release21-maint will give compilation failures, which go away
with the patch (essentially what I tried on other systems).  But even
with these patches, test_largefile fails on the seek(2**31L).

So something else too is going on.

FTR: this is a stock Mandrake 8.1 system w/ glibc 2.2.4.

I don't have much time to spend looking into this right now, but it
would be good to fix for 2.1.2.

-Barry