Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:08:27 +0100

> 2) Any time you overload a make variable that has existing semantics,
>    you have to worry about losing the original value.  Personally, I
>    think it's easier to get CC overloading right than get OPT or
>    CFLAGS overloading (and easier than getting them both right).  But
>    maybe that's just me.

Ok. For Solaris and Linux, the instruction about setting CC is about
right, so I'm no longer objecting to changing the documentation in
that direction. It is just that if you specify --without-gcc, or are
on SGI or BSD/OS, that your environment setting of CC will be ignored.

Regards,
Martin