[Python-Dev] distutils & stderr

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:17:25 -0500

[Skip Montanaro]
> If I could "cvs up" I would submit a patch, but in the meantime, is there
> any good reason that distutils shouldn't write its output to stderr?

Win9X (command.com) users can't redirect stderr, and the DOS box there has a
50-line maximum output history.  So stuff going to stderr is often lost
forever.  stdout can be redirected.  I don't know whether disutils had that
in mind, but it is "a reason" to leave it alone.

> I'm using PyInline to execute a little bit of C code that returns some
> information about the system to the calling Python code.  This code then
> sends some output to stdout.

If there's a connection between this and disutils, it's not apparent from
what you wrote.