[Python-Dev] distutils & stderr

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:33:37 -0600

    Tim> Win9X (command.com) users can't redirect stderr, and the DOS box
    Tim> there has a 50-line maximum output history.  So stuff going to
    Tim> stderr is often lost forever.  stdout can be redirected.  I don't
    Tim> know whether disutils had that in mind, but it is "a reason" to
    Tim> leave it alone.

Perhaps it would be friendlier if all distutils messages were hidden in "if
verbose:" statements (many already are).  PyInline could then dial down the
verbosity before calling distutils.

    >> I'm using PyInline to execute a little bit of C code that returns
    >> some information about the system to the calling Python code.  This
    >> code then sends some output to stdout.

    Tim> If there's a connection between this and disutils, it's not
    Tim> apparent from what you wrote.

Sorry about the missing link.  PyInline uses distutils to compile the C
code.  How PyInline does its think doesn't really matter to me, so I'm not
going to be interested in distutils' messages.

Skip