[Python-Dev] PEP 292-related: why string substitution is not the same operation as data formatting

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:26:29 -0400

On 12 Jul 2002 at 16:11, Tim Peters wrote:

[Aahz]
> I've used "%20s" * 5 frequently enough in the past to
> do crude tables. That's not a feature I'd like to
> lose.

[Tim]
> So has Guido -- he'll remember that before it's too
> late <wink>.  Ditto "-" to switch string
> justification. Prediction:  the
> $(name:optional_format) notation will win in the
> end.

Good. I use both a just enough that I'd really miss
them, but not frequently enough to remember exactly
what each modifier does what with each data type.

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/