Further suggestion (RE: [Python-Dev] PEP 292-related: why string substitution is not the same operation as data formatting)

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:12:41 +1200 (NZST)

Tim:
> [Aahz]
> > I've used "%20s" * 5 frequently enough in the past to do crude tables.
> > That's not a feature I'd like to lose.
>
> So has Guido -- he'll remember that before it's too late <wink>.  Ditto "-"
> to switch string justification.

Addendum to my suggestion: The "{...}" plays the role of
the "s" in a normal string format, so that you can do

  %-20{foo}

etc.