[Python-Dev] Single- vs. Multi-pass iterability

Clark C . Evans cce@clarkevans.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:49:35 -0400

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:09:13AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
| > I don't think it is too late.  90% ++ of the python code base out
| > there doesn't use iterators yet... people are still wrapping their
| > minds around it to see how they can use it in their applications.
| > If it was publicly stated that this could be "fixed" in the next
| > version I don't think that it would hurt.  These things happen,
| > and sometimes its best to "roll back".  Programmers understand this.
|
| I find this really hard to believe, given that such a big deal has
| been made of iterators. i

None of my code uses explicit use of iterators, and I was very
aware of them.  My new code that I'm building now does, but it
wouldn't take much effort to fix it.   I myself personally would
rather keep Python "clean" of blemish.   For the most part,
Python is really free of dragons and that's why I like it.  I'm
willing to put up with short-term pain for long term gain.  Unlike
Java or Visual Basic, I intend to be programming in Python 10+
years from now; so from my perspective, it is an investment.

Plus, most features don't get used by the public for at least
a year or so as it takes a while for the code-examples to
start using them and books to be updated.

| Care to conduct a survey on c.l.py?

Sure.  I'll run the survey and report back.  What would
be the options?  It'll be a simple CGI form using a radio
or check boxes and a button.  I'll aggregate the results.
To do this I need:

 - A specific description of what would change
 - An example of what would break, plus what it would
   be replaced with.
 - An explanation of what problems occur when the
   blemish isn't fixed (what can't you do?)

| Given that it's really only a very minor problem, I'd rather not
| expend the effort to 'fix" this.

Well, if it is a minor problem, it shouldn't be that hard to fix.

*evil grins*

Clark

--
Clark C. Evans                   Axista, Inc.
http://www.axista.com            800.926.5525