[Python-Dev] staticforward

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:58:05 -0400

  >>> Note that most of these problems are related to declaring arrays
  >>> as static forward (rather than C functions as Python normally
  >>> does):
  >>

  >> Note that staticforward was *only* intended for data
  >> declarations.  It was never intended (nor needed) for functions.

  MAL> So what I'm doing is intended and what Jeremy corrected is
  MAL> not. Gald to hear that :-)

staticforward was intended for data declarations, but was widely
misused within the core for function prototypes.

The intended use for data declarations was to have the initial
declaration be staticforward and the initialization use statichere.
Although this was the intent, most uses did not follow this pattern.
It was common to use staticforward the first time and static the
second; this was pretty harmless as statichere always expanded to
static.  It was also common to use staticforward in both places, when
ended up declaring it as extern rather than static.

BTW, I'm also gald to hear that what I correct is not intended.

Jeremy