[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
17 Jun 2002 23:25:59 +0200

Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@zope.com> writes:

> Here's a rough strategy for exploiting this feature in distutils.
> Does it make sense?

Sounds good. Unlike make, it should not choke if it cannot locate one
of the inputs of the dependency file - it may be that the header file
has gone away, and subsequent recompilation would update the
dependency file to show that.

If that is done, I'd still encourage use of the SUNPRO_DEPENDENCIES
feature for use with SunPRO (aka Forte, aka Sun ONE). Not that I'm
asking you to implement it, but it would be good if another such
mechanism would be easy to hook into whatever you implement.

Regards,
Martin