[Python-Dev] Indexing builtin sequences with objects which supply __int__

Todd Miller jmiller@stsci.edu
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:37:12 -0400

Scott Gilbert wrote:

>--- Todd Miller:
>
>>Right now, numarray is a subclass of object for Python-2.2 in order to
>>get properties in order to emulate some of Numeric's attributes. I'm
>>wondering what I'd loose from object in order to pick up int's indexing.
>>

>Since int is also a subclass of object, you'd still get the benefits of new
>style classes...

Well, that's excellent!

>> I'm also wondering how to make a rank-0 Float array fail as an index.
>>

>Raise a TypeError and it would match the standard behavior.

Raise TypeError where?   I was thinking I'd have to either inherit from
int, or not, depending on the type of the array.   It still might work
out though...