[Python-Dev] pymalloc on Windows

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:04:06 -0600

    Mark> Both are extension modules, and both use the macro versions of the
    Mark> memory allocator functions - ie, PyObject_NEW etc.
    Mark> I have patches for both these modules.  However, I wonder if a
    Mark> more pragmatic option is to expose this core function.  It would
    Mark> allow PyObject_NEW to continue to work as before.

If I've followed the recent thread on pymalloc (there is some question about
that, at least in my mind), extension modules would be better served by
calling the function versions of the various allocator APIs instead of the
macro versions.  That would eliminate the need to expose
__PyCore_ObjectMalloc.

    Mark> So - I guess all I am saying is - at the moment, it appears there
    Mark> are at least a couple fo problems building the core with pymalloc
    Mark> under windows.  I have patches, but in a short while they may not
    Mark> be necessary :)

What happens if you simply change to the function versions?

Skip