[Python-Dev] pymalloc on Windows

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:04:57 -0500

[Guido]
>>> Hm, I thought it was explicitly the case that only (the statically
>>> linked part of) the core would ever use these macros.  So why would
>>> there be 3rd party code breakage?

[Neil]
>> Nope, that was never the case, AFAIK.

[Guido]
> Sigh, I must've been confused by some other set of macros that had
> this property. :-(

The PyMem_XXX macros "(do) not preserve binary compatibility accross [sic]
Python versions and (are) therefore deprecated in extension modules" is as
close as we get to restricting any of these guys to the core.  Similar text
doesn't appear in the PyObject_XXX docs.  That doesn't mean it wasn't
intended, though <wink>.