[Python-Dev] Re: iterzip()

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 2 May 2002 01:49:32 -0400

>>> FreeBSD 4.4 (2.1.1 w/o pymalloc)
>>>   justpush  89.72
>>>    justzip 110.41
>>>
>>> FreeBSD 4.4 (recent CVS with pymalloc)
>>>   justpush  19.21
>>>    justzip  46.32

[Tim]
> That I didn't know (only the compiler was mentioned above).  So you've
> got your own mystery.  What are you going to do about it <wink>?

The good news:  This isn't a mystery after all.  Between 2.1 and 2.2, I
changed list.append() to do mildly exponential overallocation instead of
fixed-increment overallocation.  "In theory" that makes the worst cases
amortized linear time instead of quadratic time.  Looks like FreeBSD's
realloc is more sensitive to this change than most.

the-bad-news-is-i-barely-remember-changing-it-ly y'rs  - tim