[Python-Dev] Python 2.3 patch cut-off date

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
10 May 2002 18:14:25 +0200

Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> writes:

> If I interpret the above correctly, then for my typical patches it seems
> like I would have to at least b1 (and possibly c1) to submit them for
> consideration.  Is my interpretation correct?

If they are bug fixes, they ought to be submitted by b1, yes. If they
are really critical (like: there is no system where ceval.c can
compile), they might be accepted after c1.

What constitutes a bug fix is sometimes difficult to tell: If it fixes
a regression over a previous release, it certainly is a bug fix. If it
makes a feature available on a platform which previously did not have
that feature, it might be a new feature - even if other platforms
previously offered that feature.

The rule is (or, IMO, should be): no new features after b1 is
released. So if, by above definition, you are planning new features
for your port, you should submit them by a2, or atleast sufficiently
before b1.

HTH,
Martin