[Python-Dev] Re: Yet another string formatting proposal

Chermside, Michael mchermside@ingdirect.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:00:30 -0500

> [Oren proposes  "\(a) + \(b)" string formatting.]

I've been watching the string formatting proposals for a while.
Each time I've thought... "well, it seems a LITTLE nicer than
%s and %(name)s, but is it really ENOUGH better that it's worth
replacing what we've got?". So far I've generally been unsure.

But this one is good.  It's best features are that it is
_simple_, and _elegant_. I would prefer \{} over \() because it
is more distinctive ("\(" being used in REs), and somehow the=20
{} seem more consistent with "execution" and () with "grouping"
across a broad range of languages.

I'm also bit dubious about the name "cook" (cute though!). But
The design is clean and readable. The separation between
cook() and cook_eval() is probably quite wise (although it will
throw a couple of newbies, but in the process it'll teach them
to beware of eval'ing arbitrary data).

+1 (but, of course, that vote doesn't count until there's a PEP
to refer to).

-- Michael Chermside