[Python-Dev] test failures on Debian unstable

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:16:20 -0500

[Patrick K. O'Brien]
> Here is my 2 cents worth. For some time I've been using the binary
> distro of Python on Windows. But I recently compiled Python for Linux,
> for the first time. When I saw the list of unexpected skips, it
> prompted me to download and install the necessary libraries and
> recompile Python. So I definitely found that aspect to be very helpful.

That's an interesting and potentially useful meaning for a skip that isn't
expected:  Python is meant to be a "Batteries Included" offering, so if a
battery is missing, it can be helpful if the test suite tells you so.
Couple that with Guido's idea of supporting an override file, and my
obvservation that software can be taught new things <wink>, and see what
pops out.