[Python-Dev] test failures on Debian unstable

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
24 Nov 2002 23:30:02 +0100

Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:

> That's an interesting and potentially useful meaning for a skip that isn't
> expected:  Python is meant to be a "Batteries Included" offering, so if a
> battery is missing, it can be helpful if the test suite tells you so.
> Couple that with Guido's idea of supporting an override file, and my
> obvservation that software can be taught new things <wink>, and see what
> pops out.

That may be all well, but it still doesn't tell me how to proceed with
patches that people submit making arbitrary changes to the
_expectations dictionary (#551977, or the meanwhile rejected #535335).

I don't care (primarily) about Linux here, but about all the other
systems where regrtest.py gives the helpful message

Ask someone to teach regrtest.py about which tests are
expected to get skipped on foo.

How is someone supposed to know? How can someone find out?

Regards,
Martin