[Python-Dev] int/long FutureWarning

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:04:23 -0500

> A patch contributing a future import statement would be appreciated.

If we don't have a solution that is satisfactory for Jack and Mark,
we'll have to disable the warnings for the 2.3a1 release.  I think
it's not acceptable to issue warnings without providing a reasonable
way to disable them.  For the 2.3 final release (and even for 2.3b1) I
want the warnings back on, but by then a solution for Jack's and
Mark's problem will definitely have to be in place.

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with Jack & Mark
regenerating their hex constants with a trailing 'L', even though that
becomes redundant in 2.4.  But who knows when 2.4 will be out.
Trailing 'L' won't become illegal until 3.0.  It seems that that would
silence the warnings at the cost of breaking the calls, since
PyArg_ParseTuple still does range checking.  At least Jack knows how
to also regenerate the C code that gets called.

But I also have no problem with a __future__ statement.  Look in
Python 2.2 for how the "yield" keyword support was done.